HIIT training is hot in the fitness industry right now and chances are you’ve already come across it. HIIT is a great method of training so we’ve put together a quick list of why it works.
- Anaerobic interval training uses the body’s reserves of energy and, after a workout, your metabolism stays elevated and continues to burn calories for hours after the workout. This is due to something called the excess post-exercise oxygen consumption (EPOC) effect. With HIIT, you not only burn a lot of calories during the workout, but because of the high intensity you will continue to burn calories as your body replaces energy and repairs muscles damaged during exercise. The body expends around 5 calories of energy to consume 1 litre of oxygen. Increasing the amount of oxygen consumed both during and after a workout will increase the amount of total calories burned.
- Not only does your body metabolise fat for fuel during the workout, during the post-exercise recovery period after HIIT exercise the body will tap into fat stores for the energy required to restore it to normal.
- HIIT produces a significant amount of waste (things like lactic acid). The major reason for an active recovery interval is to remove these waste products to allow the involved muscles to perform the next high-intensity bout. HIIT workouts train your body to tolerate and quickly recover from periods of high-intensity exercise.
- HIIT gives your muscle tissue a real workout. As part of the repair process, the body will produce elevated levels of human growth hormone, testosterone and insulin-like growth factor to repair damaged muscle proteins, which lead to increases in muscle volume and definition.
- Many health clubs and workout studios are applying this science to develop group fitness programs that feature HIIT workouts in formats that are 30 minutes or less. These formats enable you to do more work and receive numerous health benefits in less time.
After a work out, your body needs the right fuel to repair itself and get ready for the next job. All our meals have the right mix of carbs fats and protein that you need to fuel your performance. Check out our full range here.